Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, August 17, 2020

Curtains and blinds

 You may remember that I have mentioned that our windows are mostly long and quite narrow and that the curtains take up so much space that it makes the house quite dark.  We have had them tied back as much as we could, but they still covered quite a lot of the window

Dining room


Lounge room, before the couches came


Bedroom

Pretty much the first thing I did, once the house became ours, was to order blinds. Then, I took all the curtains down, apart from the ones in our bedroom.  It was surprising not only how much more light was let in, but also how much bigger the rooms looked. I hadn't realised quite how bulky the curtains were.

The blinds were due to take 4 or 5 weeks to get to us, although because of Covid delays it might have taken longer. They took three or so weeks to get to us.  Now we had a problem.  Jim, who would have had them up in no time a year or two ago, would struggle to get them up now and in any case can't balance on a ladder or stool any more.  I probably could have installed them if need be, but would definitely have had to go up a ladder or stand on a stool, and anyone who thinks I am going to do either of those things while in charge of an electric drill/screwdriver has another think coming.  I decided to get a Wo/Man in.

Then I ran across our next door neighbour who reminded me that her partner is a cabinet maker who also does lots of carpentry.  She volunteered his services to be my tradie.  He came around on Sunday, and had the blinds up and the redundant curtain rails down in about 45 minutes.









We almost never closed the curtains in the dining room.
It was lovely and quick to drop the blinds down yesterday evening


While I was about it, I ordered a blind for the bathroom, which had a net curtain when we moved in which I promptly took down, folded up and put away ready to reinstall it when we moved out.  I put a beach house poster up in its place, for modesty's sake.  The poster has come down now and the new blind has gone in.






I completely forgot about the study, which has had its curtains removed but no new blind. It doesn't really matter for now. And I didn't get anything for the big patio window-doors.  I'm not really sure what to get for such a large space. We never closed the curtain that was there so there is no hurry, but I will get something. When I think what!

Jim and I are very pleased with the new blinds. They have subtly modernised the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment