Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Sunday

You may remember that last October Lindsey and I went to Japan for three weeks.  We were joined there by Lindsey's friend Sandy, who lives in Perth (Western Australia, not Perth Scotland!)

Sandy has been in Melbourne for the past couple of weeks and on Sunday came to Hill House for lunch, accompanied by her daughter in law.  Her son didn't come.  He was busy distressing a kitchen table.  Poor table!  Jim and I had also been invited, so up to Hill House we rocked, in time for the magnificent feast that Ian had prepared for omnivores, a vegetarian and a vegan.

We had:  slow cooked Moroccan lamb; seafood platter; roasted vegetables; green vegetables and rice; cauliflower salad; vegan friendly falafels; chocolate brownies; fruit salad; ice cream. And a lemon cake that Sandy and Bec had brought with them.  There was a lot of food.  Jim and I are man and womanfully eating our way through the leftovers

It was a great afternoon.  Rupert and Hugo were delighted to have new friends to play with. It was good to catch up with Sandy and to meet Bec

Three Amigos, reunited

Puppy love

Other than that, it was a very quiet weekend. Jim and I didn't leave the house on Saturday, unless you count a quick visit to the front garden to read the rain gauge, and a quick visit to the back garden to empty the kitchen bucket into the compost bin. I can't remember the last time we didn't go AnyWhere At All. Not even to the shop for milk and bread. We did a spot of tidying and a spot of cleaning in preparation for the "routine house inspection" that is due this morning. Apart from that, not a lot.

We are at Hill House this morning. I know that I needed to be up, dressed and ready to head down to our place to greet the estate agent when he turns up. I thought perhaps I'd go around 8:30 or 9.  The inspection is due sometime between 10 and 1, so that gives time for a lick and a polish.  I knew I needed to be up in good time.  I did not, however, need to be properly awake at 3am.  I managed, accidentally, to wake Rupert up who decided that it was clearly Getting Up time.  He nagged at a peacefully sleeping Hugo until Hugo was also properly awake.  All this woke up Jim.  I made a cup of tea for Jim and me.  And now here it is.  5am.  Jim, Rupert and Hugo have all gone back to sleep.  And I have tidied up the kitchen, had another cup of tea, done my Japanese practice, done some of my hand exercises, read the morning paper online and am still wide awake.  Not dressed, it is true. But up. And there is no point now going back to bed and trying to go back to sleep.  My alarm is set for 30 minute's time. I think it is going to be a very long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment