Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

It was an absolutely glorious day on Saturday.  I actually hung the washing outside and it was oh so nearly dry when I brought it in later in the afternoon.

Jim and I went out for a potter at the Brown Hill market, which was satisfyingly busy, and then went out to Delacombe to the supermarket and to the new Bunnings.  We've bought a small plastic seed raising "greenhouse", which Jim has assembled. Mindful of the summer in Tupton when our plastic seed raising tent blew away, taking with it a large number of seedlings, and equally mindful that it can be quite windy where we live - he has attached it to the side of the house.

I am hopeful that we will be able to extend the growing season a little by using the seed tent.  And, of course, I want to start planting seeds now that they have a home to live in. However, I must remember that it is only August and is too early to be planting summer seeds. Although, I noticed at the weekend that the tarragon is starting to come back and the oregano and sage are beginning to show new leaves, so the soil must be warming up a bit.  In the meantime, we are eating cauliflowers and carrots from the boxes and the Hill House garden.

Sunday saw us off to Geelong, where we visited Irene and Flora for lunch. Gillie, Chris and John were also there. It's lovely drive to Geelong and takes about an hour on a Sunday morning.  We feasted on smoked salmon, an Italian sausage and bean casserole and finished with Irene's magnificent lemon tart. It was a convivial afternoon which we both enjoyed very much.

On Monday we went into town.  We don't go into the city centre all that often any more. Most of our needs can be met in Delacombe or Sebastopol. However, I wanted to go to the library.  I find that the little library in East Melbourne can provide more of what I want to read than the library in Ballarat, being part of the Melbourne city library service. On this occasion, however, the book that had come to my attention was not only part of the Central Highlands library collection but was actually sitting on the shelf in the Ballarat library.  We went and got it.  We called into Wilson's on a whim but didn't really need anything. And we finished the day at Hill House in the company of Rupert and Hugo.

And here we still are.  But I must make haste.  It's time for me to head to work.  At this time of year it has started to get light when I leave on Tuesdays and Fridays.  The only problem is the sun shining in my eyes as it gets up when I am driving down the freeway!

No comments:

Post a Comment