Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Summer days

And we did use the barbecue over the weekend.  We had lamb steak on Saturday evening and rump steak on Sunday evening.  We sat outside and ate our meals using the picnic table and the gazebo. It was very much like camping in the countryside, except that we went back in the house as darkness fell and slept in our bed and not in a tent!

On Monday I abandoned Jim to his own devices and trundled down to Mount Martha to take Stella to her GP appointment. I was quite shocked when we went into his waiting room. We had barely had time to sit down when he called us in.  I expect to wait for at least 30 minutes.  It's my quiet time, waiting in a doctor's waiting room.  I had things to read and everything!!!  But no. No quiet time for me.

We drove back along the beach road and had lunch in Fine Foods and a potter in the Mount Martha shops. It was a beautiful day and holiday makers were making the most of the sunshine. The cafes and coffee shops were all nice and busy.

I left Mount Martha early on Tuesday morning and went back to work. It's still fairly quiet on the roads so was a pleasant drive into town. It was fairly quiet at the surgery too, although I am told it was absolute bedlam on Monday.

And now here it is.  Thursday morning.  We are at Hill House. Ziggy is going for a service and a roadworthy this morning so we can start the process of transferring ownership from mother to me. There are other useful things to be done today, such as posting Flynn's birthday present.  It's not very heavy but it is rather large.  Mostly his present will be postage!!!!

I bought a box of apricots last time I was in Wilson's.  At the weekend I made apricot and custard pies, using my new pie making machine.  They could have done with slightly longer in the pie machine but they were very tasty. I am hoping to use my dehydrator to make dried apricots, plus I might make a pot or two of jam.  The rest can go in the freezer against any future apricot emergency!

Apricot pies:





Sunday evening summer barbecue with salads:



No comments:

Post a Comment