Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, January 25, 2019

Marlo

Marlo came to us as a tiny, tiny kitten.




I have to say that I wasn't keen to have him. I had been enjoying the freedoms that not having a pet brings. But when Freyja came home and said a friend of a friend had a tiny kitten that needed a home, I was somehow persuaded that that home should be ours.

And the next day someone turned up and handed me the tiny kitten and some cat food.  Tiny kittens need kitten food, not grown up cat food! I had to go out and get age appropriate food for him. Marlo was the only cat I ever had that settled in immediately.  You could hear him thinking: Yup; this will do.  He made himself right at home. I wonder if it was the kitten food that did it :-D

Freyja says that there was much discussion about whose cat Marlo was.  He lived in the flat we were in when he arrived.  He stayed there when I moved out. When Tabitha and Gareth moved to Cambridge, Marlo came to Tupton where Jim and I were living.  He stayed there until I came to Australia, when he moved in with Freyja and Simon.  Then, when they too came to Australia, he moved in with Tabitha, Gareth, Cally and Flynn.  As Freyja says, it didn't matter who we thought he belonged to. The reality was that we all belonged to him.

He had a long life, mostly in good health. He faded over the last couple of days of it and made his final trip to the vet on Monday. A gentle way to go. He has left a much bigger hole in our lives than you would think something the size of a cat could do.












Vale, Marlo. The best cat ever (but don't tell the ones that went before you that I said that!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment