Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Musings

Jim and I went into town earlier today to pick up some biscuits and chooky treats for the dogs.

I tend to go up and down Lindsey and Ian's drive quite slowly, mostly because of some rather large potholes. One or two of them might try to swallow the Honda, which would be inconvenient, especially if we were in it.

It was just as well we were going slowly today. As we reached the top there were half a dozen kangaroos pottering about in the drive. It would be seriously inconvenient to hit a kangaroo or three!  I stopped until they got out of the way.

As we got out of the car, there was a wedge tailed eagle hovering overhead, obviously on the lookout for lunch.  We are too big to be an eagle's lunch so stood and admired it until it plunged down into the grass in the paddock.  I think it was after a rabbit. The magpies were being very quiet and still on the other side of the house.  When Rupert first arrived I worried that a passing eagle might fancy him for lunch.  He and Hugo are now much too large to form part of an eagle's menu.

I had an online Japanese lesson at lunchtime.  Half way through it someone asked how to say "pie" in Japanese.  It was at that point that I remembered that I had put some apple tarts in to cook which would have been ready just before the lesson started.  I didn't feel that I could just get up and vanish for a couple of minutes while I got them out of the oven so sent Jim a text message asking him to rescue them.  They are a little over-baked but still edible.  They definitely don't have soggy bottoms. Even so, I might not take them as an offering to the surgery staff tomorrow.  Jim and I will have to make the sacrifice and eat them ourselves.

It's been a gentle sort of a day today.  Gentle days are nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment