Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A lovely few days

We've had a lovely few days.

On Thursday I wanted to go to Kmart and the new one at Delacombe is closer than the one out at Wendouree.  So Jim and I went out there for a potter in Kmart and to look at the new shops that have opened since we were last there.  There's a new fruit and veg shop which had a table of produce that was beginning to look past its best.  Fill a small plastic bag for $1.  You wouldn't believe the amount of asparagus I got in my small plastic bag.  It was looking a bit withered at the end but the tips were perfectly fine.  Bargain!

Then we called in to visit our friend Pat who has recently moved into a retirement village not far from the new shopping centre.  It's very much like the retirement village that Stella and Tony live in - only considerably bigger.  She provided a lovely afternoon tea which was not bad going considering that she only had about ten minutes warning of our arrival!  It was good to see her and to admire her new unit.

On Friday I went to work bright and early with Lindsey.  I had a fairly productive day.  I've been asked to pick up some more of the admin that the nurses do, freeing them up to do less paperwork and more nursing and had some training on that.  I'm going to have to pick up some more time from somewhere to fit all the new bits and pieces in!  I got to the station on my way home to find that the train I was hoping to catch was on a platform as far away from where I had arrived as it was possible to be.  No realistic chance of catching it.  The next train was, for mysterious reasons, a coach.  It took a bit longer than the train would have but was quite a pleasant trip.  You can see more from the windows of a coach than you can from a car.  Mind you, had I waited a further 20 minutes I could have caught the train after that which was indeed a train and which trundled past us on its tracks while we were proceeding slowly along the highway. Still, I had plenty of time to read my new book or to gaze out the window. Jim was very pleased with himself.  I had originally intended to take the bus to the University but under the circumstances asked Jim to meet me at the station. He was a bit worried about whether he would be able to find his way there. To his relief he managed to navigate his way with no trouble at all.

Saturday evening saw Lindsey return from Melbourne, bringing Ian with her.  He had finally managed to make his way back from Canada, where problems with his flights saw him delayed by two days. I think he enjoyed his two days "holiday" in Vancouver but I also think he was glad finally to be home.  Sunday was a pleasantly quiet day.  Jim has been busy preparing the vegetable garden for the spring planting.  Lindsey and I went out for supplies for the dogs, the garden and the pantry. Ian prepared Sunday dinner.

Yesterday Jim and I duplicated last Monday and went to visit Tony and Stella, calling in to Katrina's Kitchen on the way. Both of them seemed to be in good form. Stella is making very good progress with her new hip. We are hoping that she might be able to escape from the rehab unit later in the week.  Then the plan is to bring them both to Mount Helen next weekend for a few days to allow further recuperation.  In the meantime, Tony has lots of delicious stews and casseroles to keep him going for the next week.

I didn't sleep all that well last night.  I woke up at around 2 and took ages to get back to sleep.  Then I had a weird dream in which Lindsey and I were in Japan at some sort of festival. There were lots of odd things going on so it took some time before we realised that there was a group of vegans trying to kill us!!  Odd behaviour for vegans.  Then Sam began banging at the door at around 6 which woke Rupert who started banging at the sides of his cage.  I'm tired out already and I haven't even left for work yet!!

Come to the, I am not dressed yet either.  Better get a wriggle on, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment