Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ice cream

I was sorting out our freezers at the weekend, moving things from the large one into the smaller one so I can defrost and clean the large one ready for the new season's crops.  Tucked away I found a big bag of last year's red currants.  They need using up - the next lot will be along shortly!

So I used a good number of them to make a redcurrant and honey sauce to go with Sunday's new season lamb shanks.  This still left a good two thirds of a large freezer bag left.  So I stewed them up with a very little sugar, put them in the blender and then strained them through a fine mesh sieve and left them overnight while I thought about them.

I didn't need to make red currant jelly - I still have some left from last summer.  And in any case I had pushed the red currants through the sieve quite hard so didn't have a clear liquid but more of a pulp.  It looked remarkably like strawberry ice cream!!

Ice cream!

It may only be May but the weather has been warm and summer lately and we have definitely moved onto summery foods.

Ice cream would be nice

Although it had been stewed with a little sugar, the pulp was still quite tart, and probably too tart for ice cream. So I added a good dollop of flower honey to it (I measured this precisely, of course! I tipped the honey jar over the pulp until it had started to pour out, then twisted the jar to stop it. I suspect it's probably about a tablespoon's worth).

Then I took two fresh eggs.  I appreciate that some people are wary of eating raw egg. But the Australian Food Safety people advise that the nasties that cause food poisoning are to be found on the outside of the shell and not within the egg itself and can be effectively neutralised by putting the whole egg in a bowl of boiling water for a few seconds.  So I did that before whisking the contents until they were frothy and custardy, then I gently whisked that into the fruit pulp.

And then I put the whole lot into my ice cream maker and let it get on which churning for about 30 minutes.

It was still quite a tart ice cream.  But it was absolutely delicious.  We had a small bowl each just on its own. But it would be lovely with fruit or a steamed pudding - or even , I suspect, a chocolate sauce!




It still looks remarkably like strawberry ice cream - but it definitely isn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment