Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, May 11, 2012

At least we know that the smoke detector works!

Peacefully sitting in my chair, I was. Minding my own business. Watching the late evening news.

Was abruptly awoken from the pleasant doze the news had induced by a piercing, shrieking sound.

The cat vanished with the speed that cats do.

The Builder and I leapt to our feet.

And found that the house was full of smoke and the shrieking sound was the smoke detector being the most agitated that I have ever heard it.

We dashed into the kitchen, to find that it was as smoky as the smokiest thing in a whole smoky universe.

And it was all emanating from a saucepan on the stove.

Probably wasn't the wisest thing I've ever done, to put a pan of Jersey Royal potatoes on to cook, preparatory to making a potato salad for today's lunch - and then wandering off to watch the news.  The Jersey Royals were black, pebbly things. I suspect the saucepan may never quite be itself again (and it was a seriously expensive saucepan - although I wouldn't have bought it had I realised that it is aluminium rather than the nice stainless steel my other, much cheaper saucepans are made of).

We do have potato salad for lunch today. Fortunately, I had more Jerseys and cooked them up this morning - staying firmly in the kitchen while I did so. 

I found Marlo hiding on a chair under the dining room table.

And the house now smells of very burned smoke, rather than the nice fresh paint smell it had when I got home from work yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment