Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Unexpectedly busy

So.  Off we ambled, on Saturday morning, to Bishops' House, where it was our turn to open up and to keep the place ticking over until 1:00.  We don't get many visitors in the mornings during the winter, so we were expecting a very quiet morning.  I had brought tea bags and milk and bananas to keep us fortified.  The builder had brought his book.  I had brought my Where's The Doctor? (á la Where's Wally) book that Tabitha, Gaz and Cally gave me for my birthday to keep me occupied. So it came as something of a surprise when a lady with a German accent came wandering in just after we had opened!  All in all we had 4 visitors - plus a lady from the committee who came to look at the new stock we've got in our tiny shop. There will be more next weekend.  There's a band coming to play music in the afternoon.  We, alas, will not be there.

After the afternoon shift of volunteers came, The Builder and I made our way down to Sharrowvale Road near Hunters Bar. We drove round and round and round and round, looking for somewhere to park.  Finally we found somewhere to park, and made our way to a new cafe/deli called Thelma's which sells delicious sandwiches, amazing hot chocolates and a range of interesting cheeses, cakes and yummy things. It's quite new.  I would thoroughly recommend it should you find yourself in hunters Bar looking for somewhere for a nice lunch. There is also an astonishing fish monger just down the road, not to mention a rather lovely greengrocer across the road.  Sharrowvale Road was on its way upmarket when we first arrived in Sheffield. It's quite a bit more so now (although there are still some of the old shops there, selling dish drainers for tuppence ha'penny should you need such a thing).

After our very tasty lunch, Freyja, The Builder and I drove into the city centre and visited the Bank Street Arts Centre - a small community place which was having a tiny Christmas market selling hand made knitted things and jewellery and felting and pretty things.  Then Freyja went off to go skating and The Builder and I came home.

So it was an unexpectedly busy but very pleasant day.

On Sunday I was moved to decorate our ficus tree with Christmas decorations - something I would normally have done next weekend.  But I felt like it, so I did it.  I am not absolutely sure that Marlo really approved!



While I was about it, I made some Christmas biscuits


Starry jammy dodger, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment