Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Birthday Feasting

Celebrations at The Nettle are always a pleasure.  When the celebration is birthday, Festive Season and chocolate then it is a mighty pleasure indeed.

The Nettle does seem to have a Christmassy chocolate feast around the time of my birthday most years. It had to be cancelled last year because of the dreadful weather. But it went ahead this year.  (Weather mild and damp rather than freezing with roads under a couple of feet of snow!)  And it was well worth turning out for.

It started with a sharing platter of crumbed prawns and charcuterie and a stunningly lovely terrine, with bread and olives and dips. The main course was salmon and chicken strips and a delicious little beef stew with potatoes and vegetables


And the chocolate sharing platter which followed was amazing.  My photo is slightly out of focus, sorry - but I have to include it so you can admire its gorgeousness


I would never have thought to put a chocolate flavoured crumble on top of my stewed plums (top left).  I have thought about it now!!!

On Wednesday we went out for an actual birthday lunch in the Peak District. We went to the Devonshire Arms in Pilsley. We've been there before, but not since they completely refurbished the place.  The food was not too bad at all.  And they have a proper Children's menu with real food.  I have to say that I wouldn't have put as much salt into food intended for children as they did. (Of course, I  wouldn't have put any salt in, but that's by the by.) But it was great to see proper food being offered to the children. And Cally loved it

Cally's lamb and mint rissoles (she's only 9 months old so didn't eat all of that - had a good go at it though)

Grown up's lamb stew with dumplings. No need for an evening meal that day!

So a fun couple of days of feasting. Now I need to do some baking and cooking myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment