Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, November 28, 2011

Not much to say, really

Mostly because the big event of the past few days was our visit to the BBC Winter Good Food Show and I said it all on the Kitchen Blog!!

A few days ago, I was talking to Lindsey and she told me off for running the washing machine overnight while we were in bed.  What if we should inadvertently flood the house?  In fact, I suspect we would first of all flood the cellar, but I run the washing machine overnight because the electricity night rate is considerably cheaper than the day rate.  Following my conversation with Lindsey I was moved to investigate further. I had thought that the night rate was between 10 and 8 but a more careful inspection of the British Gas website suggested that it was any 7 hour period within those times.  How do we know which 7 hours apply to us?  I emailed them to ask.  And it turns out that in our area the night rate is between midnight and 7am.  Now I am sorry, but no matter how much I might want to live a more frugal lifestyle, I am not staying up until midnight to put the washing machine on.  And I am definitely not doing the ironing after midnight. I shall do it all before 7 instead.  So Lindsey now has no reason to fear that we will flood the house. Well, not from an unattended washing machine at any rate!  There's not much I can do about the oven though. I am emphatically not going to bake bread and cakes, still less make roast dinners overnight!!

It occurs to me that this time last year Lindsey had just arrived from Singapore for a ten day visit, bringing huge quantities of snow and Arctic temperatures with her. This year the weather is windy and grey but very much milder. No real prospect of snow in the foreseeable future. It's nothing like as pretty - but it's a good deal easier to move around in.  It further occurs to me that Lindsey was the last overnight guest we had. Not one overnight visitor this year.  Have we done something to upset you all?


No comments:

Post a Comment