Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Tomato, cheese and ham loaf

I have a subscription to the BBC Good Food magazine and each year they send with the December issue a calendar with monthly recipes.  I have to admit that I don't very often make them, although I do, of course, look at them.  This month's recipe is for a tomato, cheese and basil loaf. Each time I've gone past the calendar I've thought that it looks remarkably delicious. Today I had a proper look and realised that it is more or less a savoury cake and decided to give it a go.

The recipe called for basil, which is not really in season any more and which in any case I didn't have.  I did, however, have some ham, so decided to use that instead to add a bit of interest to the loaf. The cherry tomatoes came from the plants in the greenhouse (still producing really very well). The hens had provided *exactly* enough eggs for the recipe. And for the milk I used some slightly sour left over milk from the last lot we got from the dairy (we have fresh milk for the tea and coffee, you'll be pleased to hear).

So this is what I did.

I took 100g of soft butter and 300g of SR flour and rubbed them together until they resembled fine breadcrumbs.  I then took 100g of cherry tomatoes chopped in half and 100g of sheeps feta cheese, crumbled and gently mixed them into the flour. I also roughly shredded a slice of medium cut honey roast ham and mixed that gently in. I put 100ml of slightly soured milk and 3 eggs in the blender and briefly blended them then added that to the flour and tomato mix, making sure it was all blended in together and that all the flour was incorporated. I poured the mixture in to a buttered loaf tin, then scattered some more halved cherry tomatoes and the rest of the feta over the top. I put it in the middle of an fan oven  pre-heated to 160d for about 55 minutes.  I then cooled the cake/loaf in the oven. 

I have to say it is extremely delicious. But next time I think I might put more tomatoes in.  And I think it would work really well with olives instead of tomatoes.







No comments:

Post a Comment