Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Roller derby and chocolate brownies

I thought, when we went to watch Freyja captain her team in a bout against Nottingham, that we might have gone to the wrong bout. That one was organised by Nottingham (so why, you may wonder, was it in Sheffield) and it was held at the skating rink, which I'm sure is fine for skating but isn't so good as a spectator venue. There isn't anywhere comfortable for specators to sit, or to see. There isn't room for a proper bar. There is no cafe. There wasn't really even any room for many merchandising stalls.

We should have gone instead to the one that Freyja organised on Sunday, which was held at Ponds Forge and which had a circus theme. There were lots of stalls and there was a proper bar. The spectator seats are comfortable and well-lit  And, of course, at Ponds Forge, there are lots of cafes and snack bars.

But we hadn't gone. We were at home.  I was, in fact, in the kitchen, baking brownies and making baked beans and generally amusing myself by cooking, while watching the bout on the internet.  You could hear the announcer nice and clearly (the one at the previous bout had been practically swallowing the microphone and was absolutely inaudible). I could see (although I would probably have been able to see if I had been watching the Nottingham bout on the internet, I guess). Lots of other people could see too - the announcer mentioned at one point that they could see people peering in through the gallery windows, presumably wondering what was going on. The announcer also announced that I was at home baking brownies :-D  (I had mentioned it on the chat facility on the internet site; he wasn't being clairvoyant!!!)

Otherwise it was  peaceful and relaxed weekend.  I was at work on Saturday afternoon, but at Collegiate Crescent, where I very seldom go any more. So it was a bit like a little holiday. Apart from that we did almost nothing other than eat nice food and drink nice wine.

Freyja wishes to point out that there was absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have gone to both bouts.  Attendance is not rationed. Taffa and Cally went to both.  So did Gaz, but he was there in some working capacity at Ponds Forge.  This is very true.  But sometimes it's nice to stay at home, watch on the internet and bake brownies!

I have been a bit worried this week.  We're deep into October. The mornings are darker. The days are shorter. There is mist and fog in the valley when we get up.  So why is my diary almost empty this week?  What, I wonder, have I forgotten to do :-S

No comments:

Post a Comment