Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Wandering about

It seems that not only can I sleep through earthquakes, but I can also sleep through Lindsey trying to reach me by text message, mobile phone and other means of communication. She finally managed to wake me by ringing the hotel bedroom phone.  This did not, however, induce me to get up out of bed and go with her to collect Emily from the hostel she had been staying in.  I sent The Builder instead!!

It seems that we have all gathered in Tokyo precisely so that Lindsey could visit the Mac shop in Ginza and buy a red cover for her iPad. They don't sell them in Melbourne.  Although - I am not absolutely sure how she knew that they made red covers for iPads, since they don't sell them in Melbourne.  But they do make them, and they sell them in Tokyo, and Lindsey now has one.

We spent the afternoon with Austin, Emily, Freyja and Simon at the Ghibli museum and had a really nice time.  It would possibly have been slightly more informative had The Builder and I actually watched either of the two Ghibli animations that I have on DVD at home. But we hadn't.  Haven't seen any Ghibli films. Enjoyed the museum anyway :-)  Then Freyja and Simon disappeared off somewhere. Austin and Ian went Mac shop hunting and then went looking for the elusive Turkish restaurant. Lindsey, Emily, The Builder and I came back to the hotel, allegedly for a rest before dinner.  Except that Lindsey decided that she and I had not walked far enough during the day and took us down to the supermarket and to the 7-11.  Twice! Fortunately, my sandals are extremely comfortable!

Ian and Austin FOUND THE TURKISH RESTAURANT and invaded the Turks. This especially amused Theo who is, as you might guess from his name, Greek!!  The food explained why Ian had been so determined to find the place!!

There was another earthquake last night. 6.2 this time.  And this time The Builder and I were still awake and noticed it.  I have to say though, that had I been asleep the gentle swaying of the room and bed probably would not have woken me. The hotel is obviously extremely well engineered!

Right.  Must go.  Off to Kyoto today :-)

Down and outers at the Shinjuku Gyoemmae station

No comments:

Post a Comment