Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A bounteous summer harvest

The summer has been a touch on the cool side. Quite grey. Very dry and not much sunshine to encourage the vegetables.  Nevertheless, we have had a bounteous harvest of many vegetables.  I came in yesterday with a basket positively groaning with vegetables. There were zucchini and tomatoes, chard and French beans, peas and broccoli, cabbage and carrots.

What to do with it all?

So I made a vegetable stew


And I mashed some of our allotment potatoes and dotted them over the top


And then I baked it all in the oven, with some strong cheese grated over the top


It was extremely delicious and very, very frugal. And until I put the cheese on the top, it would have been suitable for vegans.  It was suitable for vegetarians.  Although we didn't have any to hand!



No comments:

Post a Comment