Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

I think Marlo is a bit cross with the cat from up the road

Peacefully sleeping I was last night, minding my own business, not doing anyone any harm - when all of a sudden I was woken from my virtuous slumbers by a sound of a major feline fracas in the courtyard.

Did I need to do anything?  Could I ignore it?

Alas no.  The contretemps was quite considerable.  The Builder was awake.  I was awake.  No reason to waken the rest of Tupton.  I went down to investigate, snuggled up, of course, in my winter dressing gown and boots.

And got outside to find  Marlo crouched over the side of the pond, towards the back and looking for all the world as though he were trying to drown Mr Grumpy's cat, who was down on the ice and attempting to rise up, mermaid like.  And yowling fit to burst.  You can see his point.  I think he had definitely broken through the ice.

I yelled at Marlo - who took not a blind bit of notice.  So I shone the torch on them both.  Marlo looked up and let go of the Grumpy Cat - who shot out of the pond, around the side and then down the back path as fast as his legs would carry him and as though pursued by the Hounds of Hell themselves - hotly pursued by Marlo.

I have no idea what the cat from up the road had done to upset Marlo so, but he was very definitely Not Pleased At All!!!  I have to say that I have never seen him actually manage to get an intruder cat into the pond before.  I wonder what the fish made of it all.

I went back inside and back to bed - and found Marlo peacefully sleeping beside me at getting up time as though he had been there all night.  I began to wonder if I had maybe dreamed it all.

The Builder reports that the ice is all smashed up on the pond this morning and that something seems to have gone through it. And I am quite sleepy this morning.  Maybe it wasn't a dream after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment