Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy 80th birthday Tony


It was, I think, a well celebrated 80th birthday.

Lindsey, Ian, The Builder and I relocated to a unit in Mornington and set up home there for the weekend.  And from there we took off to Mt Martha to give the birthday boy his presents (an iPad from the family generally, and a copy of The Times printed on the day of his birth from the English and Japanese contingents, whom The Builder and I were representing).  Then we all went back to Mornington to The Royal for a rather nice birthday dinner, then back to Mt Martha for a celebratory glass of 1972 port each.  Even Stella had a small sip or two in celebration.

On Sunday morning it was raining ;-(  I had to be up early ;-(  and go out in the rain ;-(  For Tony and I were going to church.  I have to say that I went out into the weather with some reluctance, but the church service itself was lovely.  Tony plays the flute, and there is a pianist and someone playing the recorder.  There is a small choir.  The congregation was under its usual numbers but sang the hymns with gusto and joined in with enthusiasm.  I was greeted and welcomed.  And then - several people said: "Excellent; I'll see you at lunchtime".  Tony had invited the choir :-S  They all knew my name.  I had been able to call them by name at church - they were wearing name badges.  But they wouldn't be at the party :-S !!!

Lindsey, Tony and I went to set up the hall at the Mornington Golf Club ready for the party.  The cup cakes had all arrived unscathed, except for the pink ones which had got slightly squashed en route from Melbourne.  And then it was party time.  The rain had cleared away and the sun came out. The family rocked in.  Old friends turned up.  The choir arrived, minus name badges. Other people who I didn't know appeared.  There was wine and beer and soft drinks.  There were fish and chips and mini quiches and little sausage rolls, tiny dim sims and other yummy foods.  There were balloons and a banner and a collage that Wendy and Susie had made.  There was lots and lots of noise. There were cup cakes and cheese and fruit. It was all a very great success. We toasted Tony (being careful not to set fire to the club house!!) and then the visitors went away, Simon went to Hong Kong, the rest of the family went to their homes, and Wendy, Lindsey, Ian, The Builder and I accompanied Tony and Stella back to their place for a post-party natter and then we left them to it and all went away.

Was a good birthday bash!

And now Lindsey, Ian, The Builder and I are off back to Mount Martha for morning coffee.  Then we are heading back to Melbourne for lunch, a walk with Emily, and Steak Night with Christian, Yvette and Yvette's boyfriend Sam - and our last couple of days before going home

No comments:

Post a Comment