Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Lindsey's last day with us

I went out to feed the chickens yesterday morning and found that the temperature by the back door was -0.5.  Under normal circumstances I'd be complaining that that was a bit on the chilly side for early December.  Under these circumstances, it felt positively balmy!! I'm not sure that the chickens agreed, though.  And Marlo certainly doesn't!

So.  What do do on Lindsey's last day?  We pootled about in the morning.  I made a chicken "curry" for dinner, using the River Cottage Every Day that The Builder had bought me for my birthday.  I use the inverted commas because I didn't put any chilli in so it was fragrant and tasty but not hot or even particularly spicy (The Builder ate his with a very hot chilli sauce added!).  Lindsey packed up.  I made some soup. We did useful things and got ready for Thursday.  So nothing particularly noteworthy but it was a pleasant, unflustered morning

Then we hopped in the car and took ourselves off to Freyja's place and had lunch in a deli/cafe just around the corner from where she lives.  I must say I was impressed with the food.  Have marked it in my memory as somewhere to go when loitering around in Nether Edge.  We checked out the gift shop and the little gallery and the Oxfam shop.  We went back to Freyja's place for a little while and then we went home and made biscuits and ate the chicken curry and drank some wine and went to bed quite early.

So not an exciting day.  But certainly a very pleasant one.

There is still a lot of snow lying around.  But now, where it has begun to melt, it is turning to ice.  The paths are extremely slippy. We are moving around wih extreme caution when outside!

Freyja gave me a hand decorated reindeer which says "Happy Christmas" in Japanese on the back.  Very cute.  And Stella and Tony have sent gloves and a hat and a scarf to keep me toasty

No comments:

Post a Comment