Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas

We had been a bit worried about whether we would be able to go anywhere over Christmas, what with snow and ice and fog in the forecast.  In the event, however, the roads were clear and the fog was not obvious on Christmas Day and we were able to follow all our plans.

Which were not particularly onerous.  It was, in fact, quite a quiet Christmas.  I spent most of the morning baking and late in the afternoon we decamped to Tabitha and Gareth's place for a fun-filled evening with them, Freyja-with-flooooo and Marryk (without flu).  It was a good evening.  We ate party pies and sausage rolls then chicken and beef and didn't eat the desserts.  We watched Dr Who and Patrick Stewart's A Christmas Carol.  Freyja went home. The rest of us stayed in Nettleham Road and drifted off to bed in due course.

We came home early on Boxing Day to liberate the chickens.

I had intended to roast a rolled turkey breast that Lindsey had bought while she was with us for our Boxing Day Feast.  But on Christmas Eve I had happened to be in Waitrose in the afternoon while they were reducing the price of the left over festive fare.  As I wandered past the turkey fridge they had put them down to £25.  The next time I went past, about 20 minutes later, they had come down to £6.  I bought one.  A big one.  A HUGE big one!!  Far, far too big for the two of us.  So I took off the legs and thighs and put them in the freezer.  And we had the crown (still much, much too big for two of us) roasted for Boxing Day.

While I was carving it, I became aware of something thumping my leg.  I looked down.  It was Marlo bashing me with his head.  He kept on bashing me.  Slowly he turned into an episode of Simon's Cat (check YouTube if you haven't seen any Simon's Cat cartoons).  It seems that he really, really, REALLY likes roast turkey.  Who knew!!!!  Every time I go into the kitchen he's there, staring fixedly at the fridge demanding that I give him more of HIS turkey right now this very minute!!!!!

Alas, I have put the rest of the turkey in the freezer now, for we are about to head to Salisbury for a couple of days

No comments:

Post a Comment