Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Custard kisses, cinnamon swirls and chocolate bites

I finally got around to reading my August issue of the BBC Good food magazine a week or so ago.  The monthly issue tends to come out just before the beginning of the previous month (which greatly confuses me sometimes, when they are talking about "What's in season now" and it won't be for another 5 or 6 weeks!!).

In it was a section on easy bakes for afternoon teas or, I guess, picnics.

I decided to have a go at the biscuits.

First the custard kisses (which are remarkably like custard creams - only I suppose the name "custard creams" is probably trade marked).

I followed this recipe . Well - more or less.  I don't have vanilla essence but I do have vanilla infused caster sugar so used that instead.  And I don't think I can have rolled the dough out properly.  I only used half of it.

So I used the other half to make these

And very delicious they both were

The Builder tasted the custard kisses.  "Oooooo," he said.  "Custard creams.  Very nearly my most favourite biscuit ever!"  And what are the most favourite?  Chocolate bourbons.  I shouldn't have thought it would be too hard to adapt the custard biscuit recipe. And it wasn't.  I substituted 10g of Black and Greens cocoa for 10g of flour in the biscuit base, and added a splosh of cocoa to the butter cream and lo - chocolate bites (I suppose the name "chocolate bourbon" might also be trade marked).

I took some in to work.  They disappeared quite quickly.

I was musing that using the Good Food ruler idea to get uniformly sized biscuits was a good one, but that I would rather have had oblong biscuits.  More or less the size of a domino.  Maybe I should find a domino and use it as a template. Clearly obsessing over the ruler!!  I could, of course, just get biscuit cutters (or use double the width of the ruler in one direction!)


No comments:

Post a Comment