Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Accidental Veganism

Well, not really.  Not unless one meal counts!

The Builder found two quite sizable patty pan squashes in the greenhouse on the allotment (it had grown without permission - we wouldn't usually put squash vines in the greenhouse). They were hidden behind some leaves and neither of us had noticed them.  I decided they were too large to use for ordinary purposes and nowhere near large enough to use in the place of pumpkins and decided to have them stuffed and baked.

What to stuff them with?

Aha.  Something very akin to tabbouleh.  I had parsley and mint growing in abundance in the garden.  I had cherry tomatoes in a dish in the kitchen.  I had burghal wheat in the store cupboard.  I replaced the traditional cucumber with caramelised onions and garlic, soaked the wheat, mixed the chopped herbs and tomatoes together in with the wheat and onions. Then I halved the squashes, hollowed out the seedy bit and stuffed them with the tabbouleh.  I covered them with foil and baked them in a moderate oven for about an hour, then took the foil off and left them in the oven until the wheat had started to toast a bit.  I served them with a tin of chopped tomatoes which I reduced down to thicken and mixed with a black bean sauce and some homemade chips.

It was extremely delicious.  Ordinarily I would have added some cheese or some plain yoghurt but we didn't have any of either. 

And thus, accidentally, we had a vegan meal last night.  Oh - and a vegan lunch today.  We had the leftovers for lunch, with some raspberries and a chocolate sauce to follow.  The chocolate sauce is also vegan-friendly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment