Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, June 07, 2010

Monkey bread

I ran across this recipe for Monkey Bread in a Lakeland email and thought it looked quite interesting so I decided to give it a go.

It was only after I had started mixing that I realised quite how enormous the quantities were!!!  I had, of course, read through the recipe but mostly to make sure I had all the ingredients required and that I was capable of actually following the recipe.  I hadn't looked at the amounts involved.  I should have!!!

Also, I wasn't sure whether I had misread the quantities or whether the recipe has them wrong, but the resulting dough was very, very liquid.  More like a thick cake batter than a bread mix.  You most certainly couldn't have rolled it into balls.  I've just had a look at the reviews on the Lakeland website and it seems I am not the only one to have made this discovery! It more or less flobbed into the baking tin and ended up looking more like cake than bread.

I baked it anyway, and it was quite tasty, although a bit sweet for my palate and rather heavier than I had expected it to be.  The Builder seemed  to enjoy his.

But I've decided to try again, cutting the quantities in half and reducing the liquid a bit while slightly upping the flour.  I was going to give it a whirl yesterday evening but in the end decided to bake cinnamon scrolls instead.  I can more or less make the recipe up for them!! 

Although - I am not sure that cinnamon scrolls for breakfast will aid my mid-term goal to reduce my girth so I fit into my summer linen trousers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment