Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, November 06, 2008

I am beginning to think that both the Weather Dogs AND the Traffic Dogs are either distinctly p*ssed off about something, or they're in a decidedly capricious mood.

The weather is grey, misty, foggy, damp, wet, gloomy and looks set to stay that way indefinitely. I don't generally mind much what the weather does, but I really want to do some outdoor things and can't get out to do them. And the weather for bonfire night last evening was absolutely dismal. I'm very glad I wasn't planning to have a bonfire or fireworks last night. If I had been, I'd have been tempted to postpone it. This might have been the Weather Dogs being capricious rather than grumpy.

But as for the Traffic Gods, goodness only knows what's rattled their cage! We were peacefully making our way home last night, even making quite good time. Got to the big roundabout in Chesterfield - and everything ground to a complete halt. I had a supermarket delivery scheduled for between 7 and 8. I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get home at all, and completely despairing of getting there in time for the delivery. The A61 was closed. Again. But this time heading south, out of Chesterfield. All the traffic was diverted towards Hasland, then through Grassmoor. Then the delivery man rang at half past six, as we were passing through Grassmoor, to say he had arrived early and did we want our groceries early. Yes. Stay where you are. We'll be there shortly.

It was BEDLAM on Bridge Street. The Builder dropped me off and went around the block so he could back the van into the driveway - to find the road to North Wingfield past the chip shop was also closed and traffic was being diverted onto Ward Street and then onto Bridge Street. It took him simply ages to get the van in - the delivery van was blocking one bit of road. A car was parked on the double yellow lines on the other side of the road, and diverted traffic was heading in both directions. Bridge Street is often busier than you might expect for a village through-road, but I don't remember ever having seen it quite so chaotic before.

Marlo and I made sure a vodka and tonic was waiting to be put into The Builder's hand as he walked, eventually, through the door!

Any suggestions on how to appease the Traffic Dogs gratefully received.

I have taken my "ham" and "bacon" out of the curing mix. They've been soaking in fresh water overnight. And now they're in the fridge, waiting to be properly cooked. We may well have ham for dinner tonight. Maybe with chips. We also have another pot of soup. Beef, bean and vegetable this time. I am waiting patiently for it to be lunchtime so I can have some. It is very definitely beef and vegetable soup weather today!

No comments:

Post a Comment