Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Early November report

We had three or four nights very sharp frost at the end of October. Killed the courgette plant and the runner beans stone dead! So that's the end of that for this season. Must be said, though, that despite The Builder's protestations that we didn't have enough runner bean plants and that we were never going to have enough beans - I now have a freezer which is half filled with bags of beans! Not all that many courgettes though. Perhaps we didn't have enough courgette plants!!

Fortunately, I managed to get the sweet corn in before the frosts. I don't think that I'll do a second planting next year. The first lot I put in fruited magnificently. The second lot (planted within the time suggested, but about three weeks later) didn't have time to mature properly before the weather turned. Granted, that was quite early this year - but I think I'll just plant the lot out all at the same time next year. The corn was quite happy sitting on the plant until I wanted it.

The Builder planted out some autumn planting onions a couple of weeks ago. They have now started to grow. We haven't yet managed to get the garlic in, though. Might need to go out in my rain kit this weekend and do it in the rain, or there will be no garlic next year ;-(

The weather since the frosts has been horrible. Misty and foggy and grey and damp and wet. We haven't got to the allotment for two weeks now (and it's not looking hopeful for this weekend either). This is irritating because not only are there Cape Gooseberries in the greenhouse, there are also capsicums. And, although I got the (very few) soya beans in before the frost, I didn't get the kidney beans and there were quite a lot of them. I assume the plants are now frosted to death, but the beans would be salvageable, if only I could get there!

And we STILL haven't got into the flower garden. It is looking very seriously neglected :-( And The Builder wants to dig over some of the veg beds and manure them, and that isn't happening either

We bought some planters for the front of the house last Saturday. By dint of working in the greenhouse at the bottom of the garden, I have now got them planted up with winter pansies and jonquil bulbs. There are a few bulbs and pansies left, and a bit of space along the front of the house. I think we might buy another couple of planters - and perhaps some more plants then I can do the hanging baskets as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment