Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, February 25, 2007

A lazy Saturday at Psalter Lane

I’m back at Psalter Lane today, one year and one week since the Saturday I started the Blog. Once again it is a lovely, almost spring-like day. One again there is a dearth of students. I’ve had 2 queries since 10:00, and one of those was an in-passing-on-the-stairs question. You do wonder why they keep this place open at weekends. It must cost an absolute fortune for not much return. I have done the bit of “real” work I brought with me to do. I have drawn a plan of the allotment and the kitchen garden and orchard. I am resisting the temptation to read my guide book to Morocco. But I fear it’s going to be a long 2 and a bit hours before I can go home!

The Internet went down at our place during the week :-( Got home one evening to find that I had no IP address :-( Though I’m sure I do, really. Didn’t fret very much. Assumed it was a problem at their end and it would come back by the following day. Didn’t :-( Reset absolutely everything. No help. It was a Wednesday so I rang Tony and Stella instead of chatting on the messenger, then decided I simply didn’t have the strength to ring Orange that evening and rang Lindsey instead. Not that the Orange people are anything other than very pleasant. They’re lovely. Their call centre is in Scotland somewhere. But whenever I ring with a problem they get half way through doing something then get cut off. So I ring back, get someone else, explain it all over again, they start doing whatever it was again – and get cut off :-( And so it goes on until eventually I manage to stay on the line long enough for them to fix it, or I figure out what the end process was likely to have been and do it myself.

I got up on Thursday morning and decided that I simply had to do something about this. Turned the laptop on to remind myself what the error message was. Waited patiently for it to appear. No error message. Looked more closely and saw that the laptop and the ISP were communicating perfectly happily. Go figure; I dunno. It was a problem at our end. Orange were reporting no problems and other people I know who live nearby were having no trouble. A mystery!

Otherwise, there is nothing much to report. There is a nasty back, arm, shoulder, chest and throat pain virus doing the rounds which has pole axed many people but which I’ve only had in a mild form. The Builder has buggered his back but is slowly recovering (I think it’s a cunning ploy to avoid the digging project and the hoovering while I am slaving over a hot, empty library!). It’s been a quiet, uneventful week.

It’s The Builder’s 65th birthday on Easter Monday. This renders him eligible to draw his old aged pension and put his feet up. He is, of course, not allowed to do any such thing, but he could as far as the government is concerned. If anyone wishes to join us for party food and cake after 2pm on April 9th, you’d be very welcome. Just let me know you’re coming so I can bake a party pie for you!


I have been plotting a possible train and ferry holiday for summer 2008, taking in Paris, Madrid, Tangier and Marrakech. Tabitha rang to see when we were thinking of going. May, probably. Why? She wanted me to go to Italy for a couple of days or so in July, 2008. I like Italy. Any particular couple of days, or can I pick them at random? No, said she. She didn’t yet know which couple of days but she and Gaz were planning to get married there in July 2008 and thought The Builder and I might like to join a small, select group of people who would be attending. Wedding, camping (Caravanning for me? Please?) and then a couple of days mooching around ruins and museums. Sounds good to me. We’ll be there. Will there be pizza?

I've got tomorrow off. Hooray. It's my last day off until we leave for the Broads on March 19th. I shall have to enjoy it a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment