Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Horrid weather

Well, I'm sorry to all who are dehydrating, being smoked to a kipper and slowly expiring of heat exhaustion. But it WAS NOT nice weather yesterday. Not nice at all.

Normally I leave home at 7. It takes half an hour to drive to Collegiate, then a further half hour to walk to Adsetts if that's where I'm heading. If I leave at 07:30, it usually takes an hour or a bit less to drive to Collegiate.

Yesterday at 7 I looked out the window at the wall of water that had enveloped Tupton and thought: I'm not going out in that. I shall wait and see if it eases. And by half past seven it had. A bit. The rain was merely torrential, the wind gale-like. It didn't get light till nearly 09:00, mind!

Took about 50 minutes, driving very very carefully, to get to the Psalter Lane turn off on Ecclesall Road. Not bad thought I, given the conditions. Should still get to Collegiate, which is where I was headed yesterday morning, for 8:30. Usually only takes three or four minutes to get there from here.

Not yesterday. Oh no. Not yesterday. Took THIRTY minutes. Thirty!! The traffic didn't even crawl along. Mostly it was at a standstill. I think it was caused by the pedestrian lights at Hunters Bar. They only let 4 cars through at peak times. Next time I shall go down Psalter Lane and double back!

To make matters worse, I was supposed to be doing my assessed teaching yesterday. I was there. Keith the assessor was there. There were no students :( I shall have to do my assessed teaching now in January and the whole semester's written assessment is due in on the 12th :(

More happily, however, I am looking for volunteers to be sold on eBay. I had a phone call this morning from Mr Micawber with the final total for the land at the back. He wants a cheque so he can complete on December 20th. So that looks as though it's more or less sorted. The chickens are hoving into view!

No comments:

Post a Comment