Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Empire Building

Well, the Empire Building in Tupton looks to be progressing. At least, I hope it is. The Builder spent Sunday morning concreting in the new fence posts along what will be the new back fence for next door when all is done and dusted. It will be unfortunate if it all falls apart now! Still. Our solicitor seems to be onto it. The Builder has the money In the bank. The pens are poised, ready for signing. The only nagging worry, really, is that The Speculator wants it all sorted before December 5th and we are going away for a week on December 2nd so we’ve got this week, really! While The Builder was sorting out the post holes on Sunday, Marlo and I went for an inspection tour of the new block. It’s quite big. Quite a bit bigger than I realised. And absolutely stuffed full of junk. Looks like a Junk Clearing party will definitely be happening in January (all being well!)

My Christmas cooking is proceeding well. I think. I’ve now got 7 jars of marmalade and 8 jars of brandied mincemeat lined up in the larder. Looks very country kitchen!! The marmalade tastes fabulous. I made it to put in people’s Christmas parcels. Don’t want to :( Want to keep it! Only solution: buy ingredients and make more! I’ve nearly got The Builder’s grandchildren sorted. I need chocolate Santas and some glitter and that’s done, I think. Need something for his small nephews as well. And that’s the first wave organised (it needs to be ready for delivery next week).

I came in on the train on Friday. I had my course in the morning and then was on the desk from 4-6. I really, really didn’t fancy making my way up Ecclesall Road at just after six and then throwing myself into the Friday evening traffic back to Tupton. The train made sense. Got here. Prepared myself for my course. Roger looked up as I was about to leave the office. “I have to stay till six tonight,” said he. “Would you like me to do your 4-6 shift?” Absolutely I would. Meant I could leave at 4. Hooray! Got to Chesterfield just as The Builder was passing through. He picked me up and we raided Sainsbury together. We seem to have a vast amount of wine cooling in the larder! I had lunch with Richard too. He seemed quite cheerful by the end of it. This was because I made us talk about the land take over bid, and gardening and his holiday with his sister and refused to let him talk about work. I carefully didn’t mention the cricket either!!!

I had the whole of last Thursday off!!!! I took myself into Chesterfield in the afternoon on the bus. It’s a funny place. There’s the open air and indoor market, which have the sorts of stalls you might expect to find. Crud and rubbish. A million chicken nuggets for tuppence ha’penny, that sort of thing. Then, amongst them, you’ve got what are effectively farm shops selling really lovely stuff. You have, out on the streets, shops selling tack and grunge and garbage, sat side by side with really expensive shops selling things like designer shoes and extortionately expensive handbags. It’s all very odd. But rather endearing. You never know what you might find around the next corner!

I found a sweetie shop. I bought sweeties. They are at home now in a bowl on the lounge room table. They should last a while sat in there. We don’t use the lounge room much. Though The Builder did come home on Thursday evening to find me sat in there, drinking tea, using the laptop and listening to music. We stayed in there for most of the rest of the evening. It’s a lovely room. (We don’t use it much because the telly is in the other room!).


The telly has turned pink. It’s very alarming watching gardening programs through a pink filter. Makes all the plants look very poorly sick!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment