Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, November 20, 2006

A culinary triumph for Sunday

You may remember that I made a stew on Saturday morning, ready for dinner on Sunday when I got back from work. All day on Sunday I was considering what to have with the stew. Mashed potato certainly. Brussels sprouts, probably. What else. And for most of the day I was coming around to the idea of dumplings. I don’t make them very often, but they are nice occasionally. And I have some veggie suet that needs using.

Right up until I reached the Dronfield turn off on the bypass, I was going to make dumplings.

Then I thought of Yorkshire pudding. A big, huge, fluffy Yorkshire pudding. I like Yorkshire pudding. Abandoned the idea of pesky dumplings immediately.

Got home. Received gin and tonic from The Builder and Greetings from The Cat and made the batter. Sat down and watched interesting documentaries on BBC1 while the batter matured and the stew simmered and the potatoes cooked.

Put the batter into a very hot baking tray. Batter sizzled. Replaced baking tray in very hot oven. Batter rose and rose and rose and rose and rose and rose. Turned into the most magnificent Yorkshire pudding ever! Was HUGE.

Cut it in half. Was still huge. Cut my bit in half again. Put creamy mash and dollops of stew on it. Added Brussels sprouts. Presented the magnificent offering to The Builder. Ate mine. It really was very delicious.

Have the other quarter for my lunch today, with some mash and a small dollop of stew. There is also a shepherds pie in the fridge for tonight (I think there will be some of that left for my lunch tomorrow too) and a pot of beef, vegetable and barley soup from the stewing liquid. Not bad from one slab of stewing steak (and pumpkin, sweet potato, onions and parsnips). A very good buy, I reckon!

There is a big fuss going on at the moment on the Radio 4 news programs. There is a Welsh sausage maker who is in grave trouble with the Food Standards Authority. He has with malice aforethought called his sausages Welsh Dragon sausages knowing full well that they are made with pork and not dragon meat. The FSA claims that consumers may be confused. Radio 4 thinks the FSA is barking. So do I. The FSA then said that vegetarians might buy the sausage thinking they were meat free (why?). Radio 4 points out that the packaging says the sausages contain pork meat. The FSA says that they don’t care. They can’t be called Dragon sausages, so there! Actually, I think the FSA may lose this one. Not only are Radio 4 news people laughing like mad, so are Radio 4 listeners. Including me!


It seems to be Monday again. It also seems to be getting a tad noisy in the Adsetts Centre. I wonder what they are all up to. Perhaps we can have student stew next week. Wonder what vegetables would go well with stewed students

No comments:

Post a Comment