Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Moving Update

I'm beginning to think that the new house (we still haven't given it a name, folks. Come on! At the moment I'm thinking of it as the Bermuda Triangle) is deliberately hiding things. Yesterday morning I took my glasses off, the better to see what I was doing. Put them on the ironing board. I'm *sure* I put them on the ironing board. Went back to get them later and they had completely vanished. I hunted and hunted and hunted. Then I decided that it didn't really matter for what I was doing and I was bound to run across them eventually because I was tidying and sorting and cleaning and shifting things about. They'd turn up somewhere.

So I did. I cleaned and tidied and sorted and shifted and unpacked and put away and washed and ironed and cleaned and tidied and sorted. By the end of the day there were no unpacked boxes left, most things had found a home of some sort, even if it's not the final home. Most of the pictures are up. By the time the Builder came home at 17:30 The house was shiny and bright and orderly. And I was peacefully doing the ironing. Without my glasses.

So we hunted. We went through the house with a fine toothcomb. We couldn't find them. They had completely vanished. I had been using my spare pair but I can almost see better without them so they're not much use really.

Anyway. The Builder put up some hooks and a magnetic knife strip and some wotnots for me. We congratulated ourselves on each having had a successful day. And sat down with a congratulatory drink. But puzzled by the lack of glasses. The Builder then turned around and idly asked two teddy bears, who sit on our new sofa, if they had any idea. He lifted them up -- and there, somewhere we'd already looked several times, were the glasses, half hidden by Janet bear and a pile of fairy lights. Fairy lights which, this morning, had been on the ironing board. Where I am sure I put my glasses.

Hooray! I can see again!!!

I note that Matt (SiL, not bro) is trying to wriggle out of taking the blame for the Great Washing Machine Disaster. Hmmmm. However, I also note that the cupboard under the sink is still very wet. It appears that the pipe the washing machine drains into is leaking at the bottom. The presence of a red, slightly water stained bowl in the cupboard perhaps should have alerted us to a probable problem. I'm not sure quite how I can manage to mount the argument for this also being Matt's fault, especially given that it clearly pre-dates our moving in. But I'm sure, given time and plenty of hard thinking -- I will! The Builder is enjoying this. Under normal circumstances absolutely everything is *his* fault!

No comments:

Post a Comment