Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, May 15, 2006

Sunday Shenanigans

It is very, very much easier to get the car out to fulfill all your plans -- if you only remember that Ecclesall Road is to be closed on Sunday morning for the half marathon and move it the night before. Bugger. Now what are we to do?!?!?!?

Crossly stomped off to the paper shop for the Radio Times. If looks could kill, the steward who told me we couldn't get past on the pavement and would need to go back and walk around through Collegiate Crescent campus would be seriously turned to stone. I decided my mood was black beyond the fact that we couldn't get the car out, when I found myself muttering the that little old lady hobbling slowly along with her walking frame should get out the bloody way. Resolved to calm down a little.

And that we should walk up to the allotment rather than waiting for the road to reopen. Was a lovely walk. Didn't rain. Haven't been up through Endcliffe Park for ages. There was sprouting broccoli of various hues up on the allotment. And leeks. And lots of very long grass. We must get up there at some time and cut it. I can barely move around!! The trees are covered in blossom. The potatoes are mostly up. The peas and broad beans are growing. With a bit of luck we should have good crops this year. And the wooden snake seems to be working. Not much around it has been attacked by the pigeons. Must get another couple. Snakes, not pigeons.

By the time we got home Ecclesall Road was open again. Good. Off we go. We have missions to accomplish and a finite amount of time. Let's start with the farm shop at Chatsworth, for we are yet again a vegetable free zone at home. Not to mention bread free. Then across country to Hardstoft to the herb nursery. I have two chocolate cosmos and some mint, tarragon, savoury, thyme, some water mint for the fishpond and several other bits and pieces. Then we trundled up towards Chesterfield to look at a nursery we ran across in Hasland the other day. It's an excellent place if you are looking for snakes, or lizards or fish or even hamsters. Doesn't really seem to have much in the way of garden plants though! And so back to Bridge Street for The Builder to carry on with the lounge room renovations and for me to plant out the herbs, torment next door's dog and to potter about. I have a new garden fork. Those conifers are not going to defeat me!

So. Back to Sheffield for roast lamb. Then we ambled up to Ranmoor for me to meet my pal Sue in the Fulwood Inn for a quick one, while The Builder took up residence in the Bulls Head, ready for the pub quiz. I got there at about quarter past nine to find him still sat all on his lonesome, quiz sheet at the ready. Strange. The others are normally there by then. Rang Tabitha to discover that the boys were not coming and that she and Gareth had decided that, since they weren't sure we were coming, they wouldn't bother either. But here we be! So Taffa got dressed again and ran up the hill and we did the quiz together, very badly, had a few pints, then staggered home. I must say, I do enjoy the quiz much more when there are only a small number of us. Perhaps we will come in occasionally from Tupton if Taffa and Gareth are going on their own.

Just as well I'm on the late shift today, though. I could have a sleep in!

No comments:

Post a Comment