Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, May 13, 2006

I have dedded my garden fork :-(

We went back out to the house yesterday evening so The Builder could get on with the shelves and the cupboards in the lounge room. I decided to tackle one of the conifers. They really, really don't want to be dug up (and who can blame them!). The little ones are OK. They've all gone. But I decided to tackle one of the bigger ones and it killed my fork. It's not just that it broke one of the tines off -- but it broke an *inside* tine thus rendering the fork effectively useless :-( But I am determined. Those conifers are going. Even if I have to hire a huge great big enormous digging machine to grub them out!!!!!!!! I've also planted some lobelia seedlings and sown some alyssum and forget me not seeds to accompany the sweet pea seeds, and chucked some pond weed into the pond. The frogs appeared to like the pond weed. Quite a large one came out to play with it.

While I was in the middle of all this chap next door appeared, leaning on the fence, tinnie in hand to watch me. Stopped and had a bit of a chat with him. He's a railway welder. His wife works in Marks and Spencer in Chesterfield. They have a 16 yo boy, a 13 yo girl and the dog that barks at us. The house on the other side is still empty (the bailiffs have, apparently, been in!)

I ambled back inside to find the Builder merrily playing with woody things in the lounge room. I trotted upstairs to put together the bathroom shelf thingy I bought last week. Took ages to get one shelf attached. Started on the second one. The shelves feel strangely uneven, mused I. Stood them up to find them slightly wobbly. Investigated more closely. Bugger. I've put half the leg on upside down. Abandon the project and wander off to the chippie for chips. And fish for The Builder and chicken for me. They're very nice chips too.

But I'm tired. And it's looking stormy. And it's getting a bit dark to play with woody things in the lounge room. And so back to the Mudhut. Which is looking even more forlorn as each day passes.

I'm at work today. It's absolutely chucking it down. The Builder is doing some work for a friend's mother this morning. I think he intends to go and and continue his woody games this afternoon. Let us hope for better weather tomorrow. I want to go to the herb garden and nursery at Hardstoft and to the garden centre I found accidentally the other day. It looks quite magnificent and I want to explore. Then, of course, having explored, I want to get out into the garden. Can't do that in torrential rain!

Time for lunch. Baked beans and crusty bread for me

No comments:

Post a Comment