Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Magnificent Mystery Box

Lindsey called into Wilson's last Saturday and bought me one of their mystery boxes. She took it to her place and put it in the fridge.

I picked it up on Monday.

There are no photos of it. Monday was a busy day for me and I brought it home and unpacked it in between doing a number of other things and didn't think about photos.

I should have taken a photo though. It was a magnificent box. It had a small mountain of tomatoes. Some mushrooms. A green capsicum. There was a quarter cabbage and a half cauliflower. A bunch of coriander leaves and a green chilli. A bunch of Dutch carrots. There were two different chunks of pumpkin. And then there were apples, white and yellow nectarines, white and yellow peaches, a pear, a lemon and a kiwifruit.  

I chopped up the tomatoes and mushrooms and put them in a stockpot with a leek I happened to have lying around. I had some of the resulting stew with Monday's dinner and on Tuesday put the rest in the blender, passed it through a sieve and ended up with a delicious soup/broth/gravy base. I chopped up the nectarines and peaches and added them to some mango I already had. I've been eating that for breakfast. although I might lightly stew what's left to extend its useful life. By the time I got to the box, the kiwifruit was well past its best. It did not go to landfill though; it's in my compost bin. The apples and pear are in the fruit bowl. I've chopped up the cabbage and cauliflower ready for eating. The pumpkin and capsicum are in the fridge, waiting their turn. The carrots are in the veggie bowl, along with some tomatoes that I held back.

I do love Wilson's mystery boxes. They are such good value for money (usually $9 or $10) and such a fun challenge. Here is what I've got. Now - what am I going to do with it?

I'm eating well this week. Although I seem to have run out of potatoes. This is a very unusual circumstance

Have a random photo of Rupert, snuggled up to one of the new teddies that Lindsey bought last week. It's unusual for Rupert to snuggle the teddies. He isn't usually particularly bothered by them. Hugo, on the other hand, absolutely loves them!



No comments:

Post a Comment