Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Marlo (and Lakes Entrance)

You may remember that back in 2020, after our abridged trip to England, I planned a road trip to Sydney, going inland and returning via the coast with the final couple of nights in Marlo (because, you know - Marlo!). That road trip didn't happen. Neither did the postponed version. So I gave up on the idea of a road trip to Sydney and made several attempts to get to Marlo (because, you know - Marlo!). Marlo also didn't happen.

Then the state government offered inducements for people to emerge from their two year hibernation and go a-travelling in Victoria. I made a final bid to get to Marlo. And guess where I am ....

Freyja and Simon are here too. Jim, on the other hand, is not in Marlo. He is in a rather nice room in the Mount Clear Aged Care Centre, which is just less than two years old. I don't think he would like it here. He is not a big fan of water these days and we are by the mouth of the Snowy River and can also see the Pacific Ocean from our  rooms.

The chocolates and biscuits in this bag
disappeared VERY quickly!

Jim's room is immediately opposite
the common room

And this is the view from my room:



Morning coffee view


Yesterday was election day in Australia. I could have voted early in Ballarat but time got away so I went to vote in the Marlo polling station, in the cute primary school, which has chickens as well, I assume, as students and teachers. Before that I went for an exploratory, early morning wander along the Snowy River beach road.








The Marlo Hotel, which does magnificent food, mysteriously does not do any kind of breakfast for its residential guests. So we went to the (only) local cafe, which is also a tackle shop. 


And then, at Freyja's request, we went to Lakes Entrance for the day. And a lovely day it was too:

My feet went in the ocean


If you look carefully behind Freyja
you will see some brave (or foolhardy!)
people actually going into the ocean.

Frannie, Freyja and Simon







On the way from Orbost to Lakes Entrance there are the remains of an old wooden trestle railway bridge (there is a bigger trestle bridge closer to Lakes Entrance which we will collect on our way home). I am very glad we are not on a train going over the trestle bridge now! I am equally glad that they are planning to restore it. The cows went under it. They also went under the road through a cow tunnel to the paddock on the other side

Looks safe enough from this angle ....

There's a modern causeway behind the trestle bridge

Glad I'm not on a train at this point!

It's a beautiful morning today. We have a new government on its way in Australia. Simon has gone for a riverside run. We will go for brunch at the cafe and then, I think, we might go exploring locally. There are lots of coastal and riverside walks hereabouts. And the hotel has lost its electricity supply. I hope the cafe has power or we may be going further afield for brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment