Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Sunday Roast Potato Party

Freyja and Simon were once again in Ballarat over the weekend. Freyja asked if we had any Sunday Lunch plans. We didn't, so I suggested they come around and we could have Sunday Roast Potatoes.

Freyja and I both like roast potatoes a lot, so it seemed like a good plan.

I contacted Lindsey and Ian and asked if they fancied joining us for a Sunday Roast Potato Party. They did indeed fancy it.

And it was genius. I can't imagine why I have never thought about it before. If you invite people around for a Roast Potato Party, pretty much the only thing you are obliged to provide is a large platter filled with roast potatoes. Nothing else has been offered, so nothing else has to be on the table!! All I had to do was to peel a mountain of potatoes (the potatoes I had to hand needed to be peeled, or I might not have bothered with that step), cut them into sensibly sized pieces, put them in a large roasting tray with some oil and put that in the oven - and let them get on with it.

I did, of course, provide other things, so the roast potatoes could bask in their potatoey magnificence. I made a platter of green vegetables in a "cheezy" sauce made with oat milk, corn flour and nutritional yeast. We had spiralised zucchini and carrots, which I found ready spiralised in the IGA, in a tomato sauce. I would have added olives but some amongst us are not fans, so I served the olives in a separate small dish. 

I had some vegan Christmas munchy treats that I had found in Coles; I served them too as a taste test for Christmas.  Very tasty. I'll try and get more for Christmas feasting.

We had summer fruit with chocolate sauce after - mango, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, since you ask. 

But mostly we had roast potatoes.

It was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment