Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Birthday Weekend

I did get down to see what is happening on the former reserve on Saturday.  They are making quite some progress on the new housing estate




Lindsey and I went to the Bridge Mall market on Saturday and then headed out to the mushroom farm and then to the Elaine Farm shop.  It was quieter than it usually is at the mushroom farm.  I'm not sure if that was because the return of the markets is having an impact on their business, whether it was because we were later than we usually are, having been to Bridge Mall and having a potter around the city centre shops while we were there, or whether people were doing Christmassy things.  I guess we'll find out - possibly next weekend.

We started the celebrations for my birthday on Sunday lunchtime, up at Hill House.  Ian had prepared a mighty feast. Tempura to start, roasted lamb for the main and Lindsey had created mini pavlovas for dessert, using some of the fruit she had got at the market.  No real need for an evening meal.  Then yesterday, Freyja and Simon came up from Melbourne and stayed over., also at Hill House, where we were staying with Rupert and Hugo.  I must give a shout out to Shop 29, a pie shop and bakery over in Wendouree. The mushroom shop stocks their pies and we had bought a vegetable and mango curry pie for Freyja and Simon.  It was labelled as "vegetarian/vegan" and Lindsey and I weren't sure whether it was actually vegan. The people at the mushroom farm assured us it was but we were doubtful. So I messaged Shop 29 at around 7:15 yesterday morning. I was somewhat surprised to get an immediate response. It was, after all, very early. Yes the pie was vegan. It was glazed with apple.  Apple!  Had never thought to use apple as a glazing agent. Then he told me how he glazes with apple. (4 parts apple sauce, one part hot water). I was very impressed. Good customer service. 

My patio didn't happen yesterday. The forecast was for rain all day so we put it off until Friday of next week.  In the event, it wasn't all that rainy although it did rain on and off. It was definitely on the chilly side.  I can be patient.  The patio need isn't actually urgent, although I would rather like to get my herb garden underway. It will be around the edges of the patio so I can't plant it until the patio is done. But again, there is no urgency about it.  It can be planted whenever and the herbs that are growing in the planter are quite happy where they are.

We have decked the house for Christmas.  I raided the mini woodland behind our place for some sticks and made this:



I pinched the idea from my cousin Penny, who got the idea from her dad, my uncle Peter.  I am quite pleased with my effort. The dog and cat decorations came from a maker on Redbubble.  I am quite pleased with them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment