Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Ice cream and Potatoes

I have had several dreams recently which have involved ice cream.  I have no idea why.  I have also seen several recipes recently which have involved pancakes in one way or another.

I decided at the weekend that I was clearly being called by the Dessert Dogs to make pancakes.  And ice cream.

As it happens, I have an ice cream churn.  If only I could remember where I had put it.

I found it at the back of the pantry, on the shelves with the kitchen toys. I really must sort those shelves out!

So I made some custard and cooled it, then churned it until had become ice cream.  I made pancakes. I stewed some fruit.

Apples from Bacchus Marsh. Blueberries from Buninyong. Milk and cream from the local dairy. Eggs from a local farm. The flour came from the Farmgate shop. I'm not sure where they source their flour. I shall find out. But our Sunday pancakes with stewed fruit and ice cream had very few food miles, even taking into account the custard powder and sugar I bought from the supermarket






I have a Hairy Biker recipe book which I have had for years.  I use it quite a bit.  I hadn't noticed the recipe for potato bread until last week.  I have potatoes.  I gave it a whirl.  It was lovely.  Soft and fluffy and delicious.


I also have some tiny loaf tins

One tiny loaf tin, with the  butter dish
for scale

I made four small, tiny loaves using the potato bread recipe. We had them with Lindsey's mushroom soup.  A splendid lunch.





Monday sunrise from our front door.  Ready for the new week:





And this week has brought settlement on the purchase of our house.  I had a phone call early this afternoon from the solicitor and email confirmation from the bank that settlement had been finalised at lunchtime.  The house is now ours, and the bank's.  It seems strange that we don't have to go and collect keys or pack up all our possessions.  But I am happy to offset that slight sense of oddness with the very considerable convenience of not having to move. We woke up this morning as renters and will go to bed this evening as owners.

Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment