Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, July 06, 2019

Sunday Lunch - on a Thursday

I was telling Lindsey and Ian about the booze bus in Newlyn last Sunday and mentioned that I thought it was on the wrong side of the road because it was not getting the lunch traffic from Daylesford and from the Swiss Mountain Hotel.

Lindsey said that they had never been in the Swiss Mountain Hotel.  I said that we had enjoyed the food there when we had been and we should all go for lunch one Sunday.  How about Thursday, asked Lindsey.

Thursday?  Yes, she said.  Very unusually, she had no plans for Thursday.  Neither did Jim or I.  Ian did, but he shuffled them around. And on Thursday he drove to Blampied from Melbourne and Lindsey, Jim and I went from Mount Helen.

It's school holidays this week in Victoria so the hotel was busier than I had thought it might be on a winter Thursday. On the other hand, there were also a number of older people there as well as the families with children.  And the food was as delicious as we remembered

Jim's chicken parmigiana.
I'm not sure he has enough chips 😂

My very delicious steak sandwich.
I definitely have enough chips!

We will go again.  On a Sunday.  We will book well in advance.  And have a designated Dry Driver - in case there should be a booze bus on the Ballarat side of the road!!

I went to see the hand therapist at St Vincent's hospital yesterday.  She has made me a new overnight splint and given me some exercises to do.  When I came out, ready to catch a tram back to work, there were police bikes sat on the road, lights flashing.  This was unexpected! Then I noticed police officers pottering about on foot.  And then I saw the huge crowd of people in the Exhibition Gardens.  I had arrived at the tram stop just as the NAIDOC rally was about to make its way into the city centre.

Clearly there were not going to be any trams in the foreseeable future, so I sat on one of the seats at the tram stop in the sunshine and watched as the host of people walked past us, waving flags, banging boomerangs or sticks, dancing, singing and shouting.  Some of the children had balloons instead of flags and bounced along with their grown ups. 

Rally walking downwards the city
Then the trams came back and I made my way out to Reservoir.

The overnight splint has already made a noticeable difference to my hand even after only one night. I am to go back in three weeks. I must make sure I wear it each night and that I do my exercises.



Good morning from Mount Helen


No comments:

Post a Comment