Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, April 27, 2019

A Busy Week

I did go down to Melbourne on Monday afternoon, tempting though it was to stay at home. I went to Buninyong to put fuel in the car and then, in a moment of inattention, found myself driving up Mount Buninyong instead of along the back road to Melbourne.

The only disadvantage to driving up Mount Buninyong on a sunny autumn afternoon is that the road doesn't go anywhere other than to loop around the top and then come back down.  There is a side road that I hadn't been down before. I went down it.  It takes you back to the Melbourne road but with the advantage of spectacular views out over the plains. I concentrated on not falling off the road!!

Back in Melbourne, Lindsey and I had thought about going to the pub for dinner - until Emily invted us round to her place.  I hadn't seen her flat before and it is very beautiful. We had gnocchi in various forms, with salad on the side.  Emily's friend's dog was staying with her while the friend was away.  Ruby was not entirely delighted by the advent of two comparative strangers into her airbnb!!!

Tuesday morning found me at the surgery, nice and early, in good time to open up, have a coffee and be ready to turn the lights on at 8:00. Open the gates and let a tidal wave of people in. Fortunately, they were all for Melbourne Pathology and not for me!  Turn the phones on. And almost before I had lifted my finger up, the phone started ringing.  And ringing.  And ringing. All the lines were alight. And ringing!

Bedlam!

Plus, of course, people were coming in for their appointments, to make appointments (no chance, really, not for Tuesday), to ask questions (I dunno - I'm a librarian, not a doctor).

Bedlam, I tell you.

Then another receptionist turned up, and so did Bethan who was helping out for a few hours on Tuesday and Wednesday. Things became a little easier, but it was very busy all day.

Wednesday wasn't quite as bad. There wasn't a crowd of people waiting when I opened the gates at 8:00.  It took until 8:30 before the phones went mad. It was busy all day, but not as busy. I left at 5:30 or so and came back to Mount Helen

Thursday was ANZAC Day and the morning was blissfully quiet.  We were at our place and just pottered. In the afternoon we went with Lindsey out to Spring Creek for some veg and to Elaine to the farm shop for supplies. Otherwise, we didn't do much.

Friday I went back to work.  It was busy.  Again (although I didn't have to open up).  All these public holidays are all very well in their way. Nice to have a few days off.  But it does make it unusually busy when we open up again.

I got back to Hill House in the evening to find that Hugo hadn't been very well during the day.  He had thrown up his breakfast, refused treats, refused his dinner and was lying listlessly on the dining room couch. He even refused cheezels.  This was not a good sign!  He came and sat on the lounge room couch in the evening with Rupert, Jim and me.

I got up this morning and he seemed to be entirely better.  Demanded breakfast.  Wanted a second breakfast.  Chased away magpies marauding in his garden.  I don't know what he had eaten that had upset his tummy so much.  Or perhaps he just had a stomach upset.  Anyway.  All better now.  Which is just as well because we are supposed to be going to a Great Dane meet tomorrow. We couldn't possibly go and leave him behind on his own. Neither he nor Rupert would approve of that!

All better and snuggling with my caterpillar

Rupert is also snuggling, but with a ball that you can't see

No comments:

Post a Comment