Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

A Much Happier Weekend

We definitely needed a cheery weekend after the sorrows of last week.  And fortunately we got one.

Tabitha, Gareth, Cally and Flynn came to our place on Saturday afternoon and we spent our time munching on snacks, supping on various drinks, watching TV, pottering about and generally amusing ourselves.

Sunday dawned fairly bright and sunny.  We had a delicious breakfast. We spoke to Stella and Tony (having remembered that the clocks in Victoria had gone back to standard time!). We went for a pre-lunch wander around in the wetlands.







The Builder went to collect Freyja and Simon, who were joining us for lunch, from the Coach Station.  I moved into the kitchen and commenced spiralising things.  I spiralised zucchini and carrots, sweet potato, and ordinary potatoes. I didn't spiralise the cauliflower or the broccoli!

Freyja took the food photos




The spiralised sweet potato chips were a great success.  The spiralised ordinary potatoes were a great disaster. The vegetables were delicious, as was the roasted lamb.  The tofu was a bit over cooked but I thought tasted ok (except that you couldn't really taste the sesame oil, ginger, lemon and garlic I had added). Fortunately I had also roasted some new potatoes so we had an ample feast, even without the disastrous spiralised potatoes.  We had banana cake to finish.  It was all very tasty and cheery.  Just what we all needed :-)

I'm going to try the spiralised potatoes again and see if I can make them less disastrous.  And the tofu, to see if I can make the sesame oil and other flavours more pronounced.

I had intended to take myself off holiday mode yesterday and move into Ordinary Time, doing useful things and behaving more as if I was working than lounging around. However, I was reminded at lunch on Sunday that The Builder and I are actually off on holiday next Sunday.  It hardly seemed worth moving into Ordinary Time for six days so in holiday mode I remain, staying in my pyjamas and dressing gown until well into the morning, drinking tea and generally loafing about. Although I am in the process of properly cleaning the house!

We went out to Chatsworth yesterday and called in to the Garden Centre for some new slippers each. More expensive than the ones in the supermarket, but I am hoping that they will last a tiny bit longer. Then we went to the Farm Shop cafe for a spot of lunch. While we were at the farm shop, I also bought the makings of a fish platter which we will have tonight (we didn't need anything more hearty than beans on toast last evening after our delicious lunches).  I might give the spiralised potatoes another go :-P

We are going to have to be much more frugal when we go into Ordinary Time in a fortnight.  But when in holiday mode ...


No comments:

Post a Comment