Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Driving home in the snow

Two hours it took me to get home last night. TWO hours!!!!!

At about 17:40, The Builder rang me to tell me that Mina Sensei had rung to say the the Japanese class was cancelled.  This was a bit disappointing - I had done my homework and everything!  However, it was true that it was snowing, and cold and all a bit gloomy.  The thought of a nice evening at home wasn't altogether displeasing. And by 17:50, most of the traffic should be well on its way.

Not so.  The traffic was at a standstill in the city centre.  I collected the car even so and set off into it, assuming that it would clear once I got out of town.

Not so.  Took me half an hour to get to B&Q.  An hour to get to Heeley Bridge, near where Freyja used to live.  Could have walked it in less.  Even in the snow!

Things improved a bit once I got onto the Dronfield Bypass.  But not much.  There was really only one lane open, and peple were driving very slowly.  Plus, once I got onto the hills, I had fog as well as sleet and snow and ice to contend with.

Two hours.  To the minute. Door to door.  And it wasn't because of road conditions but because of sheer volume of traffic and some drivers being very selfish .

Took not much longer than that to get back from Cambridge on Sunday.  We went down in the morning and had lunch in a pub with Taffa and Gaz and then went to visit Joan and Penny in Girton for afternoon tea. They seemed to be doing quite well.  They're working on the date and time for Peter's Memorial Service.

I wonder why the Japanese class was cancelled.  It wasn't *that* snowy.  Although I suppose if it took me two hours to get home it mnight easily have taken Mina Sensei a couple of hours to get to the class.  Not that I know where she lives, mind you

No comments:

Post a Comment