Kurashiki, Japan, May 2026

Friday, July 31, 2026

Melbourne Star

 The large ferris wheel in Docklands first opened, I think, in late 2008 - and then almost immediately closed again, possibly because it "melted" in the summer heat or because of structural defects. Or possibly both!

It was rebuilt and opened again in late 2013.

It continued to have structural defects, although it wasn't completely rebuilt.

Then covid happened and it was temporarily closed for the lockdowns. In 2021 it was declared to be permanently closed.

But it wasn't taken away and sat there, immobile, large, still a landmark. But dark and immobile.

Someone built another, smaller ferris wheel near the convention centre on the other side of the river.

Sometime last year the Melbourne Star was bought by someone who set about restoring it. I have watched them setting up and testing the lights over the past few weeks. I can't see the whole wheel from here, there's a building in the way, but I can see the top bits, on either side of the building.

Yesterday, the launched the newly installed lights, with a brief firework display. It had been widely advertised and there were lots of people there to watch the lights come back to life. Lindsey and I went round to have a look.

From the car park, the wheel is waiting for its
time to shine




The firework only lasted for a minute or two but the light display continued overnight. People have been complaining that it was a bit of a non-event but the advertising did say the launch would go for around 15 minutes. I enjoyed it. Mind you, I only had to walk round to the District shopping centre, which takes less than 20 minutes. And Lindsey and I had dinner in the Docklands Pantry on the way back to my place.


The wheel isn't ready for passengers yet. It's due to take passengers sometime in the summer - although its history suggests that the timeline may slip. We'll see. But I will make the effort to go on it if/when it does start taking passengers. I have had opportunities in the past and haven't taken advantage of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment