Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, March 23, 2024

There's a Dragon in the Garden

I was peacefully watching television at around 9:30, 9:45 on Thursday evening and contemplating going to bed. Brandy and Whiskey had already retired and were sleeping on my bed.

Suddenly, Brandy came belting down the hallway, yelling loudly. He ran to the front door, jumped up and down by the window next to it and declared forcibly that there was a dragon outside, wanting to come in and devour us all.

This seemed improbable to me. It was much more likely to be the neighbourhood cat who sometimes wanders through our front or back garden.

I went and had a look. Couldn't see anything. Assured Brandy that there was no dragon to be seen and opened the front door.

Brandy bounded outside, yowling loudly, and stopped short by the chair I have on the front porch next to the door. And there, minding its own business, sat on the back of the chair was a small possum, about half Brandy's size. I don't think it was necessarily perturbed by Brandy but it was definitely perturbed by me, apparently rushing at it - and it took off towards the cucumber plant which is growing up a trellis in the middle of the garden.

Brandy took off after it. I took off after Brandy, caught him and brought him inside. I closed the door and we both watched the little possum, now hanging from the cucumber plant. Brandy was not happy and continued to yell loudly.

I took him back into my bedroom and came back to see the possum hanging upside down on the plant and nibbling on the last remaining cucumber of the season. The next time I looked out, it had gone.

No photos. Even with the outside light on it was still too dark for me to get a photo through the window and I didn't want to go back out and cause the possum to panic.

I went and joined Brandy and Whiskey in my bed (they were on it, rather than in it).

I was up early yesterday. Hugo had been on his own overnight, which doesn't happen very often. Someone needed to give him his breakfast. I got up there just after 6, to find him sleeping on the couch where I had left him on Thursday evening. Not sure if he had moved at all overnight! He was definitely surprised to see me at the time of the morning. He did reluctantly get up when I mentioned the Breakfast word, but I think he would have been perfectly happy to have stayed "in bed". Some of us, however, had to go to work and didn't have time to linger in our beds, although I did have a cup of tea with him before heading into Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment