Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, January 07, 2024

Tooradin

A little while ago, Freyja and I were discussing the possibility of a summer weekend away. Maybe the Mornington Peninsula?  Perhaps the first weekend in January?

I went a-hunting. And discovered that if we wanted to have the first weekend in January anywhere on the peninsula, we were looking at $2,000, $2,500 for three nights for three people.

That seemed slightly excessive to me. I looked further afield. And found this delightful cottage in Tooradin, for $800. I booked it, before anyone else did.


Tooradin is on Westernport rather than Port Phillip Bay. We are on a dead end street, by an inlet, with a cafe next door. We are perhaps a 30 minute drive from Frankston, we are en route to Phillip Island, we are around 30, 40 minutes from Hastings, Balnarring and Somers. And Tooradin itself is a delight. 

Freyja and Simon came down as planned on Friday. I waited until I was as certain as I could be that I was covid free and came down yesterday. It was a lovely day, so after a spot of lunch we headed to Somers to inspect the beach.  We went to Balnarring to inspect the shops. We had chips (and fish for me) from the local chip shop for tea. It was a lovely day.

We were taking advantage of the weather, which is set to change to Very Wet today. 

Where we are staying:


This is our view

and these are our neighbours 

Things around us:




Somers Beach:





No comments:

Post a Comment