Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, June 12, 2023

Winter Weekend Roundup

There is something about pottering around the Zoo Drive market in winter that I rather enjoy. It was cool, damp and muddy on Saturday. Lots of people with toasted sandwiches, hot drinks, donuts, in their coats and hats, apparently having a good time. Lindsey and I shared a Tim's Toasties cheese toastie and wandered around.  There were dogs on leads, small children in boots splashing in puddles. I think something about it must speak to my inner Englishwoman :-D

We went out to the (very busy!) mushroom farm and had a hot chocolate after doing the shopping.

We went to Petstock, Bunnings and Dan Murphy's.

We called at the bakery, where they were selling 24 party pies/pasties/sausage rolls for $30. We might have bought 48 to share. Rupert and Hugo are enjoying the sausage rolls.

Yesterday we went out to Elaine to the Farmgate shop for some lamb and then Lindsey cooked up a Sunday roast for Stella and me, which we followed with a lemon and blueberry cake that Lindsey bought at the market.

A good winter weekend.

I got home on Wednesday at about 8:15. I poured a glass of wine, lit the fire, sorted out something light to eat and sat on the couch with the cats to watch Masterchef on catchup. Suddenly, there was a noise outside, the wind picked up and there was a flash of lightning. Not long after, the rain came, rattling off the top of the fire chimney and the roof. Then there was an enormous flash of lightning followed immediately by an almighty crash and the house shook slightly. Whiskey instantly moved under the couch instead of on it. Brandy looked a bit worried and came and snuggled up tight to me. I wasn't particularly worried, although I did listen to make sure the rain wasn't making an unauthorised entry into the house!

And just as suddenly as it came, the storm went away. There were 24ml in the rain gauge on Thursday morning.

Enjoying the electric couch blanket,
after the storm had gone


I forgot to tell you. Sunday of last week, Stella, Lindsey and I went to the Crown hotel in Buninyong for lunch. I had been in there once before, around 15 years ago. I don't think Lindsey had ever been in and Stella certainly hadn't. And it was lovely. The food was delicious, the staff were friendly. There were lots of locals in, some having birthday parties. We will definitely go there again. It's most certainly on The List.

Speaking of lists - a few weeks ago I made a list of country pubs, cafes and wineries to go to, based on a pre-covid brochure I had in the spare room. It was a paper list of appropriate businesses that seemed still to be trading. I wonder what I did with it!

It's a public holiday today, for the King's birthday. I know that's actually in November, but most Australian states and territories seem to follow the British habit of marking it in June. It makes more sense in the UK, it's true, but it is quite nice to have a winter public holiday. Partying doesn't only have to be done own the summer.

I don't have any party plans today. I will go to Melbourne later this afternoon. I have a very  busy week at work coming up and will stay in Melbourne until after work on Thursday. Cat and house sitters have been arranged. I am very pleased that today is a public holiday. I might not be partying but I am also not at work, which would have made this week even more complicated.


Sunday afternoon kisses with Hugo

Rupert on the couch


No comments:

Post a Comment