Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Jim's New Room (and other things)

I had a phone call from Jim's care facility on Wednesday asking if I would consider him moving from within the dementia unit to a room in the main section. I was a bit puzzled by this but agreed to discuss it with them on Thursday. In the meantime I discussed it with Lindsey (who was in favour, more or less) and with Stella (who lives in the main area of the same facility and was a bit worried about the idea).

On Thursday, Lindsey and I met the person who had rung me. She showed us a lovely room, much larger than his current room, which they were proposing to put him in. It was along a little, dead end corridor with residents who were not inclined to wander into other people's rooms and wander off with things. It's in the same section as Stella's room, although not immediately adjacent. It also meant he would be able to join in some of the weekly activities, if he is minded. They do have activities in the dementia unit but not as many, and Jim wasn't very interested in them.

I agreed to try the move, which happened on Friday afternoon. I met Jim, the nurse and a couple of carers in Jim's original room and we trundled around with all his possessions to his new room and got him settled in. He and I went and got Stella and brought her around to look at the new room. It all seemed satisfactory, at least for a start. Once he is settled, I'll try taking him to some off the activities and see if he likes them.

Visiting Jim's new room:




As I said, it's much bigger than his previous room so there's room for more furnishings and stuff. I'm also going to see about getting some picture hooks put up so I can put some photos in his room.

Stella reported that Jim had gone for lunch in the dining room on Saturday. He almost never went to the dining area in the dementia unit. As far as I am aware, he has been going for lunch but not, I think, dinner in the dining room. I must look into him going for dinner as well.

I've taken in one of the fold out chairs that we used before I bought the couches for the lounge room, and I've ordered another set of shelves for his room. I might go to the second hand bookshop in Buninyong and see if they've got any car, garden and building books for him to look at.

He wasn't in his room when I called in yesterday. His door was wide open but he and his walker were nowhere to be seen. I found him in the dining room. He had, apparently, been wandering around exploring, had found the large, communal fruit bowl and picked up an apple. He seems to be quite comfortable! And someone has trimmed his beard.

Trimmed beard, sliced apple and
a cup of apple juice in his
new room



Lindsey and I had a busy day on Sunday. I drove her old car to the flat, she drove her new car to the flat. We met in Ballan for fuel and a breakfast sandwich. Then from the flat we went in Lindsey's car to Mount Martha where we met Stella's neighbour Jenny and joined her for lunch at The Dava. We inspected Stella's villa which has now been completely refurbished and is looking very good. We left the keys to the unit with Jenny to deliver to the office. The villa has been sold and settlement is at the end of the month so that will have been our last visit to the villa, if all goes to plan. Lindsey and I called into Tully's before heading home. Jenny had asked if we didn't have something similar in Ballarat and yes, we do. But it's not quite as interesting as Tully's and since we were in the area ... Then we came home. We will see Jenny at least one more time. We still have a couple of things in her garage which we will need the trailer for.

I put the fold out chair by my front door on Sunday evening, so I wouldn't forget to take it in to Jim's room.

Ooooo, said Whiskey.
A new chair.
How exciting!

No, no, said Brandy.
I think you'll find that's my chair.
And he pushed him off!

Brandy is much smaller and lighter than Whiskey.
That does not mean he is disadvantaged 
 when it comes to getting his way!

No comments:

Post a Comment