Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Dogs

So we took UIW out for a proper run, along country back roads, drifting along, no particular purpose in mind. I have decided that if you live hereabouts, all country back roads lead to Lal Lal :-D  Eventually we made it to Elaine, where we bought dog bones for the birthday celebration.  The dog bones were quite small and were frozen.

They had defrosted sufficiently, when we got back to Hill House, for me to separate them and give one each to Rupert and Hugo.  It was a warm and sunny afternoon and Rupert greeted his frozen bone with an enthusiastic "Wayhay! An icy pole just for me.  How exciting on this warm and sunny afternoon.  I will go and lie under the tree and enjoy this unexpected icy treat!!!"

I offered the other frozen bone to Hugo. He looked at me in horror. "What is this deadly, frozen object that you are trying to inflict on me? You're trying to kill me, aren't you??? You do not wish me to reach my third birthday!!!!!"

I put it on his outside bed.  He pawed at it.  He sniffed it.  He pawed at it again. He sniffed at it again. Then he gave it a cautious lick.  And then he settled down on his bed and spent the next hour or so chewing on it.  It seems it wasn't a deadly attack after all.

I have bought larger, proper, not frozen dog bones from the butcher near the surgery. I'll give them to the dogs at lunch time.

You find us this morning at Hill House. Jim was peacefully eating his breakfast when I noticed Rupert staring intently under the snooker table. Then he gave a single, warning woof.  I went to investigate but couldn't see anything. I distracted his attention with a chew toy and went into the bedroom to start getting organised for the day.  Our bedroom window looks out on to the vegetable garden, and also into the window of the snooker room.  And there I saw a little mouse creeping in, under the exercise bench. I assume it was the mouse that Rupert had barked at and that the mouse had hidden from this large, menacing creature.  Mind you, if something the relative size of a Great Dane woofed at me, I would hide too. As  Lindsey says, it would be like something the size of a Tyrannosaurus Rex barking at you.  Although, if something the size of a T Rex was hanging around I would be hiding whether or not it was barking at me.

I suppose we should do something about the mouse, now that Rupert has alerted us to its presence.  We don't really want another mouse plague in Hill House.  We have hair appointments later this morning. I'll see if I can find some sort of mouse deterrent while we are out. (Not  a cat. I don't think Lindsey or Ian would be very happy if I brought a cat into the house, and it is quite probable that Rupert and Hugo might also not approve. Dachshunds make quite good mousers.  I wonder if anyone would notice if I brought a Dachshund home)

No comments:

Post a Comment