Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, May 26, 2018

The plan for Thursday was that Lindsey would go to an early piano lesson and then take her car to be serviced.  She would then come back in a courtesy car and get herself ready to go on holiday.  When her car was ready to pick up she would collect it and then drive to Melbourne for a dinner engagement. Following that she would come back to Mount Helen and she and I would leave, in her car, for work at a little after 06:30 on Friday morning.

That was the plan.

At some point she remembered the existence of the train. No need for all that dashing about. She would go to Melbourne on the train for her evening engagement and stay overnight, then I would drive down to Melbourne in her car on Friday morning (and not quite so early!)

And that is what happened.

It was a beautiful morning for driving to Melbourne.  I settled back into Lindsey's Car Which Almost Drives Itself.  Just after I had gone past the last opportunity to do a u-turn to go into the service station at Warrenheip, the car sounded an alarm.  Your tyres are under-inflated it yelled. Check the tyre pressure immediately. Alarm, alarm, alarm.

It seemed unlikely to me that the tyres were under-inflated. I was more than certain that the Audi people would have checked the tyres the day before. But I pulled into the service station at Ballan and checked them all.  And they were perfectly inflated.  But the alarm didn't go away.  Fortunately it only yelled briefly, but thereafter the alarm light came on and stayed on.  We rang the Audi people when I got to work and he talked us through the way to turn it off.  I am relieved to tell you that it hasn't happened since.  I wonder if the car's computer system was a bit bored, or feeling under-appreciated.

At the end of the day Lindsey and I went to the airport and Lindsey set off on her two week trip to the US and Canada.  I took her car back to Mount Helen, following a route that I suspect would have been beautiful in daylight.  I must do it again one day when the sun is up.

So now Lindsey and Ian are both away and Jim and I have possession of their house, their dogs - and Lindsey's car.

It's a beautiful morning.  We are off to the Lakeside market.  We won't take the dogs :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment