Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, March 19, 2018

Minor irritations

So this is a rental house.  It is a condition of the lease that we can't put up picture hooks without written permission from the owner.  We can, however, put up those sticky hooks which release without damaging the paintwork when you want to remove them - if you are careful.

So I went to Bunnings and bought some sticky hooks - and I bought a recognised brand.  I stuck them up properly and waited until the next day to put things on them.

Pretty much all of the ones I had put on the wall fell off, taking tiny dabs of paint with them.

I used bigger ones.  They fell off too.

This was irritating.  Fortunately nothing was broken! But if the light things I was trying to hang weren't holding, there was little hope for actual pictures and no hope for the coat hooks we had brought with us.

Back to Bunnings, where we bought over door hangers and hooks, poster sticky strips and a different brand of sticky hooks. So far things are holding but I haven't found anything yet that is strong enough for the framed pictures.  I'll work on it.  Otherwise I'll have to seek permission to put a small number of proper picture hooks up.  It's a long time since I rented anywhere to live, and when I did they didn't care about picture hooks. I'd got used to being able to put things up at will

Oh, and we'll need to find out the name of the wall paint so we can touch up the walls when we move out!

I was absolutely convinced that there was a removal box missing when we unpacked everything.  My Le Creuset stock pot isn't here.  We don't seem to have any of our cups from the Tupton cupboard, apart from some that I brought with me the Christmas before we moved.  We have searched the garage and the shed at Hill House, to no avail.  Eventually I sent a message to Tabitha and Freyja enquiring about some of the things that aren't here.

Freyja has the stock pot.  Cally has the oil burner cow (I remembered having thought that I didn't need to bring both my oil burners but wasn't sure what I had done with the cow).  There appears not to be a box missing.

I really wonder what 18 months ago Frannie was thinking when she decided that there was no need to put a Le Creuset stock pot into the things that were being freighted over.  Why did she reject the seaside themed over door hanger that had been in the bathroom.  Why did she decide not to bring the starry cups that she and Jim had used for their first cup of tea of the morning for years. I'm sure I don't know what she was thinking!!!  (She also didn't think it was worth bringing the dining chairs. Fortunately Jim overruled her on that one otherwise we would have a magnificent dining table but nothing to sit on around it.)

Life is made up of such minor irritations, I guess.  I'll have to get another stock pot. But not right this very minute.  Right this very minute I'm going to go and have a shower and get dressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment