Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Poor Old Stella

I woke up this morning and, as is my habit, checked my phone for emails, text messages and for Facebook and Twitter updates.

I was a bit surprised to find that some of my nieces had put messages on Facebook telling their grandmother that they loved her.  Quite right, of course. As they should.  But why did they feel the need to tell her so on Facebook at this particular point?

I set off investigating. And found, way down the timeline, a message from my father to say that Stella had been taken into hospital with chest pains!!  So I got up and trundled off in search of my laptop (my phone is a nice phone, but it is getting on a bit now, in phone years, and is slowing down. My laptop is younger and perkier and quicker - and also bigger!)  And lo - Tony happened to be about on Skype.  So I rang him. They think that Stella has had a minor heart attack, but she is still having tests to find out what's going on.  At the time I spoke to him she was in the Frankston hospital, but I think they are trying to move her back to hospital in Mornington.  When I spoke to Tony, the chest pains had stopped and I think Stell was minded to go back home. The doctors appear to think this is not a good idea, so in hospital she remains. For the time being, at least.

Apart from that, nothing very exciting has been happening. We had a peacefully quiet weekend in which we did very little.

In pursuit of saving for the GWT, I have started a spending spreadsheet, partly to see where the money goes, and partly to see how many days in a month I can go without spending anything at all. This has had the unexpected side effect of turning me into a right miser! Do I want to make a donation to a collection for a colleague who's leaving?  Nooooooooo - that would be one day less of no spending! Fancy lunch out with a colleague? Absolutely not - another day of no spending. How about a Friday after-work pub visit. Again - noooooooooooooooooo. More money on my spreadsheet!!!!!  (I do, of course, do all these things, but that is the first thought).  The other side effect, naturally, is that I have suddenly developped an urgent desire to go out and buy loads of things that I hadn't previously known that I needed!  I'm resisting that one too

Freyja, in the meantime, has discovered that Megabus has now expanded out from the UK and is now offering super cheap trips to Western Europe. Mind you - even if they did offer GWT trips, I'm not sure I would want to go all the way to Singapore and Perth and Melbourne and Nagoya on a Megabus!!  Would take for ever, and definitely wouldn't be particularly comfortable. What we need is a Megaplane :-D

The Builder's Fast Driving certificate

Marlooooooooo!!!

...and The Builder


[Update on Stella: Facebook informs me that Stella has now moved to the Peninsula Hospital, which Google informs me is in Frankston. She's feeling lots better - but still isn't allowed to go home yet]

No comments:

Post a Comment